by J J Cohen
If you are an MAA member, you should have received an email with a link to a survey asking if the MAA meeting should be held in Arizona as planned (with special sessions devoted to critiquing some of what is behind the immigration law and the animus towards ethnic studies), or if it should be canceled and somewhat combined with Kalamazoo. I urge you to weigh in, sign your name, and leave a comment.
If you do vote to cancel, and if you have the resources, consider pledging to assist the MAA recover the $32K (!!!) they will lose if they do not hold the meeting in Tempe as well.
Here is the text of the survey:
"The officers and Council must decide whether (1) to hold the meeting as scheduled, or (2) to meet in conjunction with the International Congress at Kalamazoo (with MAA programmatic participation limited to a maximum of three plenary addresses and three sessions, and all MAA meetings held at a hotel), or (3) to cancel the meeting entirely, with a Council and Business meeting to be held at a date in April at a place to be determined by the Executive Committee. If the meeting is held in Tempe, we plan to schedule sessions and a plenary address devoted to topics relevant to the situation in Arizona, such as race, ethnicity, immigration, and migration. If the meeting in Arizona is canceled, there will be a financial penalty, which the Treasurer, Eugene Lyman, and the Conference Program Chair, Robert Bjork, have calculated to be in the neighborhood of $32,000."