by J J Cohen
So far as I know, no decision has been reached on holding the 2010 meeting in Arizona. Meanwhile the open letter to the Academy has garnered 161 signatures. I fear that no news is bad news in that if a change of venue is to be made, swift action is necessary.
On Friday I received an email from Speculum, requesting that I review a book I'd really like to write about. Here is the reply I sent.
Dear Marry-Jo Arn,
Thank you for thinking of me for this review. XXX is sitting on my desktop right now and I've already enjoyed some its chapters already. Reviewing the volume for Speculum would be just the excuse I need to make it my next book to read thoroughly.
Like many MAA members, though, I am deeply troubled by the possibility that the 2011 annual meeting may be held in Arizona as planned. Should that be the case (and I truly hope it will not be the case), it's my intention to cancel my MAA membership and no longer review books or essays for Speculum. I hope that does not sound petty, nor too excessive a reaction; but I believe that we as medievalists are facing down an important ethical choice here. I am going to hope that the MAA makes the right decision so that I can continue to be as proud of the association as I have been since I joined in 1992.
I know that this is more than you expected or perhaps need to hear from me. I just wanted to give some context as to why I cannot take on this important duty at this time. If you can wait until the MAA has made a decision about Arizona, I will be happy to undertake the review then, provided the meeting is moved or canceled. I certainly understand, though, if you will need to find another reviewer quickly.
All the best,