The discussion on "early modern" quickly became a colloquy on periodization more generally, and has been quite vigorous across different modes of social media. If you'd like to catch up and join in, here are some highlights:
- The original post at In the Middle (read the comments!)
- Rick Godden, History Without Transition
- Steve Mentz, Messy Transitions
- Rick Godden, History Without Transition, Part Deux
- Ana Grinberg, Periodización y polifonía
The conversation also proceeded via FB (that link brings you to my profile's public links) and Twitter. See especially @jeffreyjcohen, @ETreharne, @burnablebooks, @jonathanhsy, @RickGodden.
That's a start. Have I missed any links?